Thanks to guest blogger, Steve Kloyda – The Prospecting Expert.
Earlier this month, I was honored to be one of the featured speakers via web conference for VMware’s Prospecting Day! I was interviewed by Mike Clayville, Vice President, North American Sales, and Brandon Sweeney, Vice President, U.S. Mid-Market & SMB Business. They devoted a whole day to inspiring their partners in their prospecting efforts! I shared several insights from what I have learned over the past 32 years and thought you might want to have them too.
Following are 10 key insights I shared:
- Always be Prospecting! Prospecting is the foundation for all successful companies and salespeople.
- The purpose of prospecting is to keep your sales pipeline full. There are huge opportunities available to those who consistently prospect.
- Most sales people struggle with prospecting because of fear and they have never embraced the skill that is necessary to be really good at it.
- When we were growing up, who did our parents tell us never to talk with? STRANGERS! It’s no wonder why most sales people don’t like to prospect. Their initial call is usually with a “stranger” so it goes against their childhood training.
- 80% of all new sales people fail because of call reluctance. 40% of all veteran sales people stop prospecting because of their fear of prospecting.
- “Executive alignment” is a term I learned in working with VMware staff to prepare for Prospecting Day. You have to talk with the right people to produce the right results. You want to be aligned with your prospects’ goals and objectives.
- Block out time specifically to prospect.
- Track your prospecting activity.
- Always be prepared. Work from a script or an agenda. Do you think Meryl Streep won the Academy Award for best actress in “The Iron Lady” because she showed up on the set and winged it?
- The purpose of the call is to keep the purpose of the call the purpose of the call.
Here’s your “Action Idea” for you to apply this week: ALWAYS BE PROSPECTING!
About Steve Kloyda: As Founder of The Prospecting Expert, Steve helps his clients in the sales industry attract more prospects, retain more clients, and drive more sales. He’s also been recognized as a Small Business Success Story by Social Media Examiner, the world’s largest online social media magazine.
Latest posts by Guest Blogger (see all)
- Copywriting Tip: Make Emotion Part of Your Promotion - November 3, 2014
- Are All Your Marketing Eggs in One Basket? - January 20, 2014
- Are You Shooting for the Moon or Shooting Yourself in the Foot? - January 13, 2014