So, given that January 1st marks the 24th anniversary of my business, I thought I’d let you in on 24 things you may not know about me, but I hope you’ll enjoy discovering:
1. I played Amaryllis in “The Music Man” in sixth grade (that’s me in the pic at left). Loved having a solo (sang “Goodnight My Someone”) and have the fondest memories of it.
2. I love singing. I sang in both the girls’ chorus and school chorus in high school. After high school, I started to take singing lessons from my dad’s friend who was an opera singer, but then I went off to college. Now I sing in the car.
3. I love to dance – disco and salsa mostly. Most recently discovered “Ayre Dance” – choreographed combo of exercise & dance that makes me smile.
4. I was a disco dance instructor. Folks say they despise disco, but have you noticed that when you turn on some old disco tunes, everyone gets up to dance (and has a good time doing so)?
5. I still own disco record albums (yes, vinyl).
6. I was a disc jockey in a discotheque. I had asked a friend to teach me how to spin records (as I thought I was going to work at Club Med and use the skill there – in addition to being a dance instructor for them). Next thing I knew, the disco offered me a job. Speech therapist by day and disc jockey by night.
7. I have a master’s degree in Communication Disorders (major in Speech Pathology & minor in Audiology). I worked as a speech therapist in the public school system before realizing it wasn’t the career path for me. Was hard to admit after spending 6 years between undergrad & grad school studying for it.
8. I was born and raised in Queens, New York. I love to visit the Big Apple, but choose not to live there anymore.
9. I was a semi-finalist in the Miss Teenage America contest held at Palisades Amusement Park in New Jersey. How many of you remember Palisades?
10. I went to the Barbizon School of Modeling. Started to pursue a modeling career, but was told by NY agencies that I was too short.
11. I applied to the High School of Performing Arts and after being turned down I performed a little in high school. However, the rejection kind of squashed my dreams and eventually I stopped acting (well, at least on stage).
12. A piece of my heart is still on Kaua`i though I now live in Colorado. I’m the only copywriter in the Rocky Mountains with the aloha spirit and a New York state of mind.
13. Never understood why, while living on Kaua`i for 10 years, more people didn’t jump on a plane and come visit. After all, it’s a magical paradise.
14. I cry a lot when I think of my beautiful golden retriever Ike who died in April 2012 (he was 13 ½ years old). He was famous on Kauai’s north shore.
15. Being “Ike’s mom” was one of the best things that ever happened to me. Ike was a precious gift in my life and an inspiration to all who met him.
16. I don’t like to talk politics . . . so let’s change the subject.
17. Though I now live on the mainland, I still say aloha. I get annoyed when someone replies, “You’re not on Kaua’i anymore.” Heck I know that, but if you don’t like the aloha spirit, that’s your issue, not mine. What greeting would you prefer?
18. Why, when I introduce myself as “Debra” do people say “what do you like to be called?” My response is usually, “you can call me by any name you like, as long as it’s polite.”
19. My motto is “better busy than bored.” What’s yours?
20. I value my family and friendships above all else.
21. I miss my mom and dad every day.
22. I am grateful I have 2 brothers (I’m the middle child).
23. I love tradition, birthdays, and holidays, but I don’t like to spend them alone.
24. I’ve known my best friend in the whole world since the 2nd grade. How lucky am I? Do you have a friend(s) that you’ve known since childhood?
Here’s wishing you a new year of self-discovery, exciting new adventures, good health and great happiness.
Want to let me in on something I don’t know about you? I’d love it if you shared a little piece of yourself in the comment section below. Thanks.
Latest posts by Debra Jason (see all)
- A Little LinkedIn Tip That Packs A Powerful Punch – Update - April 20, 2017
- Six Tips To Keep The Heart Of Your Copy Beating - April 17, 2017
- Please tell me what to do: Remember your call-to-action - April 3, 2017