During one of the workshops I present titled, “Unleashing the Lead-Generating Power of LinkedIn,” I point out a little tip about customizing your LinkedIn URL.
Most often, the people in the audience don’t know what I’m referring to. They aren’t aware that they have the ability to customize their LinkedIn URL (that’s one reason I share this with them).
You see, when you sign up for a Profile, LinkedIn assigns you a lengthy URL that looks something like this:
Now, imagine you’re printing new business cards or creating your email signature and you want to put the URL there. Would you even remember the above link? Not likely.
So why not make it easy on yourself & others? LinkedIn lets you personalize your profile URL quickly and easily so you can have a URL that reads http://linkedin.com/in/yourname.
With the new 2017 user interface there are now five steps to follow to make this happen. Here are those 5 steps. Follow them and you’ll be done:
1. Go to your LinkedIn Profile and click on the pencil for “Contact and Personal Info.”
2. When the box opens up, click on “Profile URL.”
3. On the right of your screen, you’ll see “Edit Public Profile URL.”
4. A new box will pop up (see above) and it says “Enhance your personal brand by creating a custom URL for your LinkedIn public profile.” Below that it will display: www.linkedin.com/in with your name auto-filled in the box next to it. If you want to use your name the way they have it auto-filled, then move to step #5. Otherwise, you can change the name in the box to whatever you want to use.
5. Click the button that says “Save.” If your name is available, you’re good to go. If not, LinkedIn will suggest alternatives or you can enter a new one that you prefer.
That’s it. Just 5 simple steps and you’re set. This little LinkedIn tip packs a powerful punch when you want to connect with others.
Just share your easy-to-remember URL and don’t forget to incorporate it in all your marketing (i.e. email signatures, business cards, website, etc.).
The powerful punch you get by implementing this little tip? LinkedIn reports that once you customize your URL, your profile is likely show up higher in a browser’s search results.
When you’ve made the change, share your new custom URL with me here – in the comment section. Have another little LinkedIn tip you’d like to reveal? Feel free to post it below because I love hearing from you. Thanks a million and here’s to your sweet success!
Latest posts by Debra Jason (see all)
- A Little LinkedIn Tip That Packs A Powerful Punch – Update - April 20, 2017
- Six Tips To Keep The Heart Of Your Copy Beating - April 17, 2017
- Please tell me what to do: Remember your call-to-action - April 3, 2017